Sunday 22 August 2010

Do you have the X Factor?

OK the reality television phenomenon that is X Factor has returned to our screens for another year, and I found myself tuning in to the 2010 series opener as once again the nation conducts its search for the next great pop star.

First impressions are somewhat... mixed, and though the judges have yet to really get their handbags and claws out to any of the auditionees, but likewise I didn’t see anyone with what I would call “transcendental” talent show up yet either, which made it a relatively no thrills starter, to ease us in to the new series.

I think I will keep an eye out on the unusually named Gamu, as the self described “girl with a red flower in her hair” impressed the judges with her own take on “Walking on Sunshine” as they trawled through Glasgow. Indeed early reports suggest that bookies are calling her an early favourite to win the whole competition. I personally say don’t count your chickens, and even though I did like her, I think I will need to see just a little bit more from her before she gets my vote.

Of course X Factor just wouldn’t be X Factor, without a “What The F**K” moment, and that came out in the form of 30 year old Shirleena when the judges moved the search on to London. Her eccentric take on “Mercy” by Duffy, had me on the floor out of a double whammy of laughter and cringing. I apparently looked like she was driving me into a seizure, and I have a strange suspicion that this woman could probably do just that, making me hope that if she continues in the competition, then producers will put a warning on the title card. Of course the real WTF moment came when the judges let her through 2 to 1. I know those guys are the experts, but surely they must have been drinking at that point.

Other memorable candidates were G & S a double act, whose take on “Don’t Stop Believing” quite possibly ruined the pilot episode of Glee, for me, for all time. I mean come on guys, it isn’t a double act unless you can both sing. I also shouted at the TV when “JAHM” hit the screen and butchered Bad Romance, after apparently meeting online and auditioning “over the phone”...... yeah I could believe that.

There has also been another point of controversy with thousands of viewers venting their spleens on twitter regarding the use of auto-tune technology by the show. The use of a post production technology to improve the voices of the contestants was met with outrage and seen by many as an attempt to falsely convey the quality of the talent that people have. I can only think, if that is what they sound like after they have been vocally photo-shopped, I would hate to have heard it raw *cringe*.

Oh well all controversy aside, the big lactating behemoth that is ITV’s cash cow has performed well in the ratings and 11.1 million viewers tuned in nationwide, and early estimations are showing that this will be a big year for the show, now in its seventh series. I will personally be watching (because the other half makes me) and seeing if I can spot the next Leona/Alexandra and be ready to vent my spleen on twitter if another Jedward shows up..... beware.

No comments:

Post a Comment