Sunday 4 April 2010

Wow, I am shocked

If you are a loyal reader then many of you will know that today was the day when my boyfriend finally got to meet my whole family. A prospect that made me very nervous. Please understand I love my boyfriend a lot and I always wanted him to meet the family, which I think of him as part of, I just always worried that if he saw how insane my family were then I might loose him. The truth of the matter is that a part of me wanted to keep him safe and happy, and I worried about it mainly because I have been so happy the last five months, I didn't want to spoil it.

As it happened, he was a hit.

We started the day slowly, we did not have to be at my parents till three, so we stayed in bed having some cuddles and eventually watched a film. ( Watchmen in case you were wondering ). But then we both got showered and dressed, and left to go. To say I had butterflies would be an understatement, I felt like I had Mothra and his whole dysfunctional family going at it in my guts. I am ashamed to admit it but a tiny part of me even wanted to ask him to pull over for a few minutes. Still I persevered, though I did ask him if he was still happy with me and our relationship, my little pet worry being that if he was even a little bit uncertain then this might push him over the edge. He told me, that he was happy. So I felt much better.

We got to the house where my large Alaskan Malamute dog Toby, decided he loved lee so much he was going to pick him up and try and bury him. Well it was one hell of an icebreaker. He then proceeded to meet my mother and grandmother, I still chaffed at them referring to him as my "friend" but I supposed they needed to come to terms wih it too. In no time at all we were surrounded by my neice and nephew as well as my brother and his soon to be wife. I could tell he was nervous, so we just stayed quiet and let everyone talk around us.

All at once he seemed more at ease, especially after he started to win people over one at a time, and as he managed it I felt the tense muscles in my shoulder blades slowly unravel and I felt lighter than air. Of course then we got to the Easter meal and all of a sudden I just felt bloated. I have to give my mother much respect for pulling together an extra vegitarian meal for Lee, which he loved. I think he loved the desert too which was a rich chocolate sponge covered in chocolate sauce. I couldn't finish it, but Lee took it in stride and impressed my indomitable mother.

We quietly retired for some tea and coffee, and even had some play time with the children, he wowed my nephew by making a perfect play-doh snail. So great was our success, we retired to my room for a few minutes, I just needed a hug and I wanted to find the words to tell him how happy I was. He didn't think he did much, only that he tried his best. But in my heart, I felt something like pride swell me up, I almost didn't want him to leave. But I knew he had to, my mother has made a lot of progress but not that much, not yet.

He left with one last good night kiss, and I felt light again, though more dreamy, like my insides were mad of clouds and air. I came straight up to bed and decided to post this, before my memory started to dim. I may read this tomorrow and be embarrassed at how gushy i sound. But right now, I can think of only one time I was happier, and that was he night Lee said he loved me for the very first time.

I love you too Lee, sweet dreams.

1 comment:

  1. Scott

    It sounds like a nice time and im happy it all worked out. Its nice that your family is coming to grips with him

    take care and be safe

    bob

    ReplyDelete