Saturday 27 March 2010

Feeling Battered and Bruised

Like most people who think a little too much and spend a lot of time indoors I am not that good at workig with my hands, well not outdoors anyway. (Yes I went there and did a masturbation joke, are you happy internet....).

Unfortunately there was plenty of work to do today in the plot that is soon to become my house. I knew it was a big thing to demolish and rebuild a house to make it mine, but somehow the idea of the completed project overrode my worries. Of course perhaps I was being more than a little naieve.

Because of the work today I had to cut down my weekend time with Lee short, I was not thrilled about the idea of loosing any precious time with him, especially since my last post.... But he understood and I mentally promised myself that I would cook him dinner when I saw him next. Anywho I got home around 12 and after I changed into some old clothes (a long sleved shirt and really old jeans) I went with my father and older brother.

As I said. I am not good at outdoor work in the slightest, what I have yet to mention is that my brother works in construction, and my father as a la dlord pretty much know everything there is to know about this field. Which is good because as I was about to proove I did not have a clue. They both knew this of course, but that did not stop them from making me feel bad about the things I did not know.

I know Ignorance is not a Defence, But it is not a Crime either.

Still i went to work with as much gusto I could manage. And even though I got a fair few looks of disappointment from the two men in my family, I am to used to it now, so it doesn't bug me. The main job today was the clearing of the area, and putting up fencing to mark the area off from the rest of the nearby park, once done then we could demolish the old shell of the house and begin construction.

It was honest and good work, but by the end of it every muscle seemed to be screaming at me and threatening to sue me, unless working standards improved. But after the ribbing I had from my brother about being such a runt I was unwilling to take any breaks, trying to focus only on doing the job, and doing it right.

Then, as you would expect in my clockwork universe, it started raining. Not heavily of course but still not the kind of weather you would want to stand outside in. Then I slipped a fair few times, with one memorable trip causing my leg to get stuck in the remnants of the old chain link fence and needing my brother to pull me free. But I wasn't hurt, only my ego stung, ( my pride having sensibly moved out a decade ago).

By the end of it there were arguments, like there always is. But I went home happily, and slipped on my earphones and listened to some comfort music (Celine Dion and Scissor Sisters) and felt all my muscles whine about the cruel treatment.

There is probably more to do tomorrow, but I am trying not to think that far ahead. Instead I am trying to think further.l trying to see the finished home in my head. My slice of the world. It's a pleasant thought and hats what keeps me going.

No comments:

Post a Comment