Tuesday 23 March 2010

Pitfalls of the Office Gay

There are all kinds of common issues that I as a gay man need to deal with when working at my office. I have to deal with the odd joke here or there, but largely my sexuality never tends to enter the workplace. Mostly this down to spectacular self control on my part. Nothing major, just avoiding certain conversations and keeping my answers to direct questions brief and to the point. Essentially I avoid anything that might show me up. Of course there are some situations where I really do have to think about it.

I had one such experience today. It was nothing major, just one of the guys I work with was walking around with his fly down. That's when the internal debate begins. At this point no one else has notices the dangling zip, so I could simply turn to him and tell him about his little problem. Simple Right? Wrong. Problem with that is what if he thinks I was scoping him out when I noticed the fly? Would he think I was leering?

First thing you have to know is that this guy is a nice guy, but ever so slightly dim, and so not my type. Now he however is one of those guys with a big mouth and the dim bulb might jump to an insane wrong conclusion. So my decision was made, I would let him discover the problem on his own.

Silent minutes pass and he does nothing, I am amazed no one has spotted his zip yet, not least of which was because he was wearing tight orange pants, and yes I will need to burn my eyes after that. Now like I said, he is a nice guy and I start to feel bad, I know he will get no end of greif if someone else catches qnglimpse of his shame.

Finally I relent, I wait till he goes to the filing cabinet and I chase him up. I try to be diplomatic, I say XYZ. Sadly poor dim boy kisses the point and thinks I'm talking about his filing system. Finally, I could take it no more and I just tell him his fly is down. He looks at me blanky as he fills in the gaps in his head. And with mental triumph he finally looks down. All he can say is whoops, all I can say is, I wasn't looking scouts honour. He just smiles says thanks and walks on. Another crisis averted and no embarrassing repurcussions..... Why do I make such a Drama out of my life :S

No comments:

Post a Comment